Berry Gardens needed a brand new website and a decision was taken to also develop their Intranet and Extranet sites on the same platform and at the same time. That platform was SharePoint and Foundation SP were chosen to develop each of the new sites simultaneously.
A staged approach was taken towards the development which included;
- Web site design and development along with a content management structure that was agreed with all the key stakeholders.
- Intranet development with emphasis on document management, keeping attention on future plans beyond phase 1 for workflow management.
- Extranet – the farmers and producers play a big role in Berry Gardens success and developing a platform for them to use was a priority.
A SharePoint farm was set up and the creation of the site included a split between a single front-end and a single back-end server, initially for the content management requirement. A further server would be used to run within a virtualised infrastructure with careful planning for the back-end SQL server as the I/O profile might suit a physical platform. Subsequent stages will include implementing a document management system on the Intranet.
About Berry Gardens
Founded over 35 years ago, Berry Gardens is the UK’s leading berry and stone fruit production and marketing group with sales in 2010 of £193 million, a market share in excess of 40% during the UK season and a year round business supplying all of Britain’s leading retailers. Berry Gardens are wholly owned by UK growers making the Berry Gardens proposition unique, whether you are a consumer, retailer, UK grower or overseas producer.
Berry Gardens co-operative roots mean they can promise honesty and openness in their dealings and deliver this to all stakeholders. Berry Gardens are specialists - this means that year round berries and UK stone fruit are all that they do. They have a genuine passion and pride in their product, clearly seen through their commitment to quality and their year round offering of the very best tasting fruit. As farmers and producers themselves, they respect our land and our environment. As marketers and distributors, they respect the expertise and needs of everyone in the chain and with their unrivalled expertise and passion for the product they aim to ensure the best possible eating experience.
To improve access, control and management, Berry Gardens implemented Microsoft SharePoint for their internet, intranet and extranet sites.
A Microsoft architecture is the chosen primary platform, including MOSS (Microsoft Office SharePoint Server) and SQL. Other components will be considered as the platform matures to encompass Document Management and Business Intelligence functions.
- New Intranet, Extranet and Internet Platform
- 1,300 internal and external users
- Collaboration and information dashboard
- Real time value portal and customer stock updates
- MS SharePoint®Content design and platform implantation services